Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Grace? Maybe.

I am standing on the brink of being done with my junior year of college. That is insane. At the end of every semester I remark about how it was the most difficult semester yet, but this time I will make a different remark: this was the worst semester yet.

Drama, stress, business, etc...

Same story as everyone else.

I am beginning to think that college is just hard, and that is why every semester is really hard. hmmm... novel concept.

Anyway, this semester I held one idea in my head that sort of kept me going no matter what mountain I stood at the foot of. I met with Dr. Shangkuan earlier this semester, and in our conversation she told me this: with every endeavor, we can expect grace. Simple, easy, grace.

Yesterday I was cramming, as I always do at the end of a semester. I was writing a paper, and I worked on the paper from 3:00 PM to 3:00 AM. When I was satisfied with the progress I was making, I decided to take a nap and then keep working after my nap. Well, none of my three alarm clocks were able to pull me from the strong arm of sleep. So I slept until my sister woke me up. Upon waking I had a terrible realization that I would not finish my paper on time.

I e-mailed my professor to ask for an extension. He e-mailed me back soon thereafter to remind me that the paper was due a week from today... not today.

I laughed for a while.

Grace? Maybe. Either way, I embrace today with gratitude and a smile.

-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment