Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Weight of Glory

How often do I look at my neighbor with some sort of bitter emotion? How often do I judge my neighbor? How often do I put my neighbor down in an attempt to make myself look that little bit better? How often do I look at my neighbor and only see a physical body?

After answering those questions, I can understand what Lewis meant when he said "The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbor's glory should be laid daily on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken." Don't you see it? Our neighbors were created in the image of God, they are children of God. If our neighbors have accepted Christ, then they are even just as far along spiritually as we are. Where do I get off judging them?

That is where the weight of my neighbors glory becomes my burden to carry. I must humble myself to the point where I look at my neighbor and see their soul. I must conform myself to the ways of Christ (humility being one of the greatest lessons taught) to the point where I can look upon someone who has nothing but scorn for me, and love them with the love of Christ.

In Christ,

Ben

4 comments:

  1. Its interesting to think about how we are to treat out neighbors like that. To delight in what they do, and to rejoice and be proud of their works as you own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know that we should love our neighbor as we want to be loved. You really put this into perspective (along with Lewis). I just want to comment on your in class comments, I really find every point you make in class to be extremely captivating and they way you approach points in essays just blows me away. I really really appreciate your insight on everything, it really helps me, a CS Lewis rookie, to grasps the concepts that Lewis stresses. So Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job in emphasizing the importance of humility in accordance to being an image bearer of Christ. We must lay down our own selfishness at the foot of the cross. By doing so, we are able to build others up in order to fully show Christ's love to our neighbors. It may never be easy, but God fulfills His purpose in our lives when we constantly cling to Him. We need to always remember that as image bearers, God uses us to further His kingdom here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more. Honestly though it is a lesson I have learned only recently. For the longest time I have spent my time looking down on and judging humanity and it has not been very long now but I am starting to be able to see others as bearers of Christ’s image and while it is something that I and I think most other Christians still struggle with I do believe that it is important that we keep it up as any one of these people we are looking down upon may one day be in the kingdom of heaven and by judging them we do nothing but push them away.

    ReplyDelete