Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Mission

The Mission is the movie I went to see for class. It was actually quite a stunning film, not by any means in cinematography or acting, but none the less, stunning. It was about an Indian tribe that was originally a very violent tribe. Killing the settling colonies, but ultimately only for their own survival. Then some priests came to the tribe and interacted, they learned their language and traditions, and became part of the tribe. They built a church, and won many for Christ. The bonds formed there were incredible. But then the settling colonies decided that the Indians must move, they must leave their land. The Indians would not hear it, and they fought back (only to be slaughtered).

But the most extraordinary part of this whole ordeal was the involvement of the priests. Most of the priests fought with the Indians, but there was one who could not. He said that he must be peaceful. He stayed in the village as it was being attacked, and led somewhat of a church service. He began with the choir singing, and then marched them straight at the assailants. No mercy was shown, not love offered. Many were slaughtered who were doing nothing more then praying.

First I ask the question, what priest made the right judgment? The ones who fought, or the one who did not? Next I ask you, if you were in the position of the priests, what do you think you would do?

I intend to attempt to answer the questions I lay out, but not easily, and most likely not entirely. I believe that the priest who stayed did the right thing. The more that I look into the sticky topic of war from a Christian view point, the more I am conflicted. I am conflicted on the question of whether war is like Christ or not. Early Christians faced death on a Roman cross, yet they did not rebel and attack the Romans. They faced constant persecution, something I cannot imagine, yet they remained peaceful. Yes, in the Old Testament there are many stories of God inspired war, but what about the New Testament?

The only answer that I can come up with is this (and this is an answer in my heart): to protect ones self, you cannot murder. To protect ones self, you cannot steal. To protect ones self, war seems to me to be not like Christ.

So in that I believe I answer the second question for myself as well, I would like to think that I would choose peace. That I could praise God until the moment I died.

In Christ,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment